- 084 and 087 numbers | There are several strands of action to ‘clean’ these up:
- clearer pricing to be brought in by Ofcom, including the requirement for all users to declare their Service Charge;
- the Consumer Rights Directive, which requires customer helplines be charged at no more than the basic rate, and;
- a move away from 084 numbers by the public-sector.
- Use of 084 numbers in the NHS | These are banned in England and Wales, but many GPs and other service providers, such as hospitals, continue with their use regardless. NHS England has recently (in November 2013) written to affected practices telling them that they will be in breach of contract if they fail to take all reasonable steps to see that patients don’t call expensive 084 numbers to speak to them.
The issues listed above are those of current focus for the campaign. We’re always open to suggestions for other issues that the campaign may focus on.