Aims of the campaign
The Fair Telecoms Campaign (fairtelecoms) is recruiting supporters to identify issues, report cases and assist with:
- Creating a fair relationship between consumers and providers in a regulated competitive market for telecoms services.
- Making transparent (thereby eliminating inappropriate) commercial relationships between callers and those they call.
- Working with regulatory bodies, e.g. Ofcom, BEIS, FCA, Phone-paid Service Authority, etc, and campaigning through the media and by direct contact.
- Aiming to focus on issues that are relevant and where campaigning pressure is demanded and likely to produce results.
- Currently addressing:
- promoting compliance with BEIS, FCA and PSA regulations banning usage of premium rate 084, 087, 09 and 118 numbers,
- raising awareness of Ofcom's requirement to declare call charges alongside remaining 084, 087, 09 and 118 numbers,
- expansion of premium rate regulation currently imposed on some ICSS providers to cover all such usage irrespective of prefix used,
- abuse of those seeking help, by charities using premium rate 084 and 087 numbers,
- unnecessary and "foolish" use of premium rate 084 and 087 numbers by various box offices and ticket agencies and by Camelot,
- raising awareness that calls to ordinary landline and mobile numbers are best made using an inclusive call plan covering all such calls made,
- introduction of regulations to prevent nuisance marketing calls being made in problem sectors especially noting that after-the-fact penalties have done little to reduce this menace - and most of those penalties remain unpaid,
- cleaning up, or eliminating, the 070 range of numbers,
- cases of clearly improper use of 084 telephone numbers by NHS GPs and other NHS providers,
- responding to industry consultations, e.g. Ofcom, BEIS, FCA, PSA, etc, where appropriate.
Led by experienced campaigner David Hickson (NHS.Patient).